Monday 18 March 2013

Tate & Lyle's Mr. Cube


The animated Mr. Cube takes a bow in From Cane to Cube.


Advertising and propaganda have always been two sides of the same coin. When the Labour government declared its plans to nationalise the sugar industry in 1949, however, the two converged entirely in the creation of Mr. Cube.




David Kynaston summarises the affair in his book Austerity Britain:

The most memorable anti-nationalisation campaign, however, was that waged by the sugar monopoly Tate & Lyle. An animated cartoon character, 'Mr. Cube', was created in July 1949; for the rest of the year and into 1950 the little man seemed to be everywhere. Daily he was to be seen on sugar packages, on ration-book holders (given away free to housewives) and on Tate & Lyle delivery trucks, while intensive advertising in the press was supplemented by shopkeepers handing out millions of leaflets to customers. 'Take the S out of State,' was one of Mr Cube's easy-to-grasp slogans, 'Tate not State!' another... Altogether, it was an astonishingly effective, American-style campaign, which the government was quite unable to counter.

I don't know if this account is correct in implying that Mr. Cube originated in animation, but he was animated at least once during this period: the 1950 Tate & Lyle promotional documentary From Cane to Cube opens with some short footage of the character..




The character was around for quite a while after the nationalisation debate. Google Documents contains a 1962 pamphlet entitled Mr. Cube's Roots: The Story of Sugar. I distinctively remember a sword-wielding Mr. Cube being discreetly tucked away on the backs of Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup tins well into the nineties, as well, although he has since been removed.

There seems to have been a recent effort to revive the character: The YouTube account on Manchester's Grow Communications has an animation test of a CGI Mr. Cube.




The artist who created Mr. Cube was called Bobby St John Cooper, but a search on Google turns up no evidence of further work from this individual.

10 comments:

  1. I remember Mr Cube - the later, stockier version rather than the more elegant, slim-limbed version which is presumably Mr St John Cooper's creation (and which the 3D animation seemed to be trying to recreate).

    I was fascinated by it (as I as by other cartoon characters on packs - like Snap, Crackle & Pop) and always felt it ought to have been animated - pity the documentary made such a crude job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my amazing father. His life was filled with fantastic times. I think he had more adventures in his lifetime than anyone could wish for. I adored him as did so many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my own father (Ian Crampton Baker) shared lodgings with St John Cooper (possibly in Brompton road?) in about 1948-50 and worked with him on some of the Mr Cube ideas. My dad was an architect but in 1949 he had only just graduated from the AA and was not yet practicing, but trying to scrape a living doing advertising illustrations and book covers. Does this ring any bells.

      Delete
    2. Was your father St John Cooper? I am a historian working on the history of public relations and I would love to talk to you about your father. Would it be possible?

      Delete
  3. Bobby St John Cooper was my father's step-brother. I remember him as Uncle Bobby. My father Anthony Ford Whitcombe's mother was Emma Cooper, sister if Gladys Cooper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should meet Mary. I only knew that he had two brothers. Firstly Graham, I never met as he died before I was born, he was a super naughty chap and only met Uncle Tony and his wife in the seventies. Children were seen but not heard...we went to their cottage in Sussex but I had no idea that Papa's brother was a step brother. Not that that is important. Mary, we need to connect and yes, Gladys is my great aunt. The only time I met her was in the late sixties and she was wonderfully dismisive, although when she realised that my name was Rebecca she talked for yonks about the film and was very indiscreet about the whole Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier unhappiness. I would love to meet. I have no idea if this will get to you, here's hoping.

      Delete
    2. Hello Rebecca
      Are you the Rebecca that used to live in Boxford, that had a step sister called Ann.
      If it is I remember your mother, and have a picture of you when you were little.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes that's me! I cannot wait meet you. I have another sibling. His name is Jason and he is my half brother. If you would like, I will send you my details. It would be just splendid to meet. With best regards, Rebecca St John Cooper.

      Delete
  4. Hello Rebecca

    If you like I can scan pictures and email you them to you.
    I remember your mother she attempted to teach me how to play the piano, and gave me a doll when I did well.
    My email address is patstubberfield1@sky.com
    My mother Mrs Childs worked for your parents and she was very fond of you, she is 94 now and has dementia, but she would have been pleased to have seen you again


    ReplyDelete
  5. It was interesting reading about the history of Mr Cube, a character I always thought looked a friendly chap when I was a little boy, but it's been absolutely lovely reading the story that developed as I read the comments! I really do hope Mary and Rebecca met up.

    ReplyDelete